Monday, March 10, 2008

what exactly did I save on daylight?


I'm still amazed things that grow. I started these plants (mint and valerian for those joining us late in the game) on Christmas, hard to believe they were once tiny seeds. I'm not impressed by the taste of the mint, when they say it does not come true from seed they arent kidding. If I can find a branch I like to make a cutting from I may look elsewhere for mint. If it looks like spring is coming to my neck of the woods, you'd be misinformed. The temps ourside are in the low 30's and windy. No snow per se, just dead cold. Got to chat with a friend yesterday while picking up some baby clothes. Given pest problems they are going to have to fence in their garden. A shame but unfortunately a necessity. Makes me want to get out and garden all the more, except for the bitter cold.

On the hydroponic front I'm trying to coax the last of the seedlings to transplantable size before the 19th when I have to swap out trays to start the vegetables....YEAH!

If you have a moment and haven't been there already, please check out Onestraw, He had a mini epiphany of sorts (minpiphany?). Like most people involved in sustainable living, permaculture, gardening, etc, he made it know of his desire for more space. But recently he came to realize exactly how much he had accomplished right where he was. Kudos, if we all had that attitude (greenies and non-greenies alike) we might not be swinging from the death spiral of more more more.

No comments: